Sad little girl

Most Texas court orders involving children require both parents to keep each other and the court informed about their current residence and place of employment.  A court order that outlines visitation will be helpful in trying to locate your child. Obtain a copy of the court order from the district court clerk in the county where a decree was issued or paternity was established.

The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) provides locate-only services to individuals with OAG cases who are not receiving full child support services, but who request help in locating a parent. This is only for the purpose of establishing a court order for paternity, child support, or medical support; collecting court-ordered support; or enforcing custody or visitation.  If the other parent disappeared with the child or is intentionally hiding the child, the search can be complicated. Consider consulting a lawyer for your options. You may also need the assistance of a private detective or law enforcement officials.

A non-custodial parent, without the assistance of a court or agent of the court, cannot apply for locate-only services. You may apply for State Parent Locator Service if you are:

  • the custodial parent with physical possession of the child(ren);
  • a person (other than a parent) who, for at least the past six months, has had physical possession of the child(ren);
  • the legal guardian or managing conservator with legal custody of the child(ren);
  • a judge or agent of a court with jurisdiction over the paternity and/or support case;
  • a court with jurisdiction to enforce custody or visitation; or
  • the attorney of the child(ren) for whom paternity and/or support is sought.


Disclaimer:  The legal information provided in this article is the product of Legal Aid NorthWest Texas (LANWT). None of the legal information in this article is associated with or the product of the Office of the Attorney General of Texas or any of its employees.

Legal Policy